For various reactions to this milestone, read:
- Africa Takes the Lead! World's First Continental Treaty to Protect Those Forced to Flee Comes into Force (IDMC & NRC, Dec. 2012) [text]
- African IDP Convention Comes into Force (IRIN, Dec. 2012) [text]
- An International Model Emerges Today in Africa to Address the Plight of Millions of Internally Displaced Persons: Statement by the UN Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of Internally Displaced Persons Chaloka Beyani to Mark the Coming into Force of the Kampala Convention (OHCHR, Dec. 2012) [text]
- A Landmark for Human Rights: The Kampala Convention on Internal Displacement Comes into Effect (UpFront Blog, Dec. 2012) [text]
- UN High Commissioner for Refugees Hails "Historic" Breakthrough on the Protection of Internally Displaced People in Africa (UNHCR, Dec. 2012) [text]
For ratifications, see the AU's official list and IDMC's map (see above) showing countries which have signed/ratified or not signed and those with significant IDP populations.
The Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) has also prepared a helpful media guide which provides an overview of the Kampala Convention and suggestions for how to spread the word on social networks.
Additional resources relating to the Convention specifically and IDPs generally can be found on the Brookings-LSE Project site, IDMC web site, and Refworld's IDP page.
Tagged Publications and Web Sites/Tools.