31 March 2010
Publications: FGM & Asylum, R2P & IDPs, Refugee Protection/Morocco, Reproductive Health & Burmese Refugees/Thailand, Serb Refugees/Croatia
Refugee Protection and International Migration: A Review of UNHCR's Role and Activities in Morocco (UNHCR, March 2010) [text]
"Reproductive Health and Quality of Life of Young Burmese Refugees in Thailand," Conflict and Health 4:5 (2010) [open access text]
Serb Refugees: Forgotten by Croatia? (ECRE & Center for Peace, Legal Advice and Psychosocial Assistance & Group 484, 2010) [text via Human Security Gateway]
"Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed … Something Blue? The Protection Potential of a Marriage of Concepts between R2P and IDP Protection," Global Responsibility to Protect, vol. 2, nos. 1-2 (2010) [text via ReliefWeb]
30 March 2010
- See related press release.
Improving Asylum Procedures: Comparative Analysis and Recommendations for Law and Practice: Key Findings and Recommendations (UNHCR, March 2010) [text]
Living in Limbo: Forced Migrant Destitution in Europe (JRS Europe, March 2010) [text]
Migrants at sea: guidelines for EU border patrols (European Parliament, March 2010) [text]
Violencia sexual y migración: La realidad oculta de las mujeres subsaharianas atrapadas en Marruecos de camino a Europa (MSF, March 2010) [text]
29 March 2010
A double issue of Refugee Survey Quarterly has just been published (vol. 28, nos. 2-3, 2010) that focuses on "UNRWA and Palestinian Refugees 60 Years Later." Three introductory articles provide information about the articles that appear in this issue, some history, and some personal reflections on the role of the agency. The contributions to this issue are organized under three headings: Context and Evolution; Protection; and Looking Toward the Future.
- The Status of the Palestinian Refugees in the Near East: The Right of Return and UNRWA in Perspective
- From Emergency Relief Assistance to Human Development and Back: UNRWA and the Palestinian Refugees, 1950–2009
- Palestinian Refugee Youth: Agency and Aspiration
- Palestinian Refugee Camps: From Shelter to Habitat
- Testing a New Paradigm: UNRWA’s Camp Improvement Programme
- UNRWA: Through the Eyes of its Refugee Employees in Jordan
- UNRWA and the Palestine Refugees: A Genealogy of "Participatory" Development
- Sixty Years of UNRWA: From Service Provision to Refugee Protection
- The Mandate of UNRWA at Sixty
- UNHCR and the International Protection of Palestinian Refugees
- Is there Really a Protection Gap? UNRWA’s Role vis-à-vis Palestinian Refugees
- The Palestinians in Egypt: Identity, Basic Rights and Host State Policies
- Towards a Protection Strategy for UNRWA
- Future Prospects for the Palestinian Refugees
- Israel, UNRWA, and the Palestinian Refugee Issue
- Peace Prospects and Implications for UNRWA’s Future: An International Law Perspective
- UNRWA’s Policy Analysis and other Research Needs: Strengthening Knowledge Management Within the Agency
What exactly do I track?
In blog posts, I report on links to:
- the full-text of recently published reports, working papers, journal articles, books, and other publications (see publications)
- new issues of journals relevant to forced migration (see periodicals)
- information on upcoming events and opportunities (see events)
- multimedia, like videos, podcasts, and photo collections (see audiovisual and photographs)
- new web sites and online research tools (see websites)
In the sidebar, I list references to:
- new articles that appear in other disciplinary journals
- new law review articles and legal papers
- new books and book chapters
(note: these are non-full-text; links above go to bookmarked lists in Delicious)
If there is another type of information source you would like to have tracked, please let me know in a comment.
Many thanks to UNHCR's Policy Development and Evaluation Service (PDES) for sponsoring my blog and helping me to keep things going. If you find this service useful and would like to provide support as well, please be in touch!
Thanks for visiting!
26 March 2010
Examining the particular relevance of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women to the protection of women of concern to UNHCR. Joint seminar of CEDAW Committee and UNHCR (New York, 16-17 July 2009) (UNHCR, March 2010) [text]
Reconciling Responsibility to Protect with IDP Protection (Brookings-Bern Project on Internal Displacement, March 2010) [text]
Refugees and asylum seekers: A review from an equality and human rights perspective (Equality and Human Rights Commission, Spring 2010) [text]
Thematic Compilation of Executive Committee Conclusions (UNHCR, Jan. 2010) [text]
“Who Belongs Where? Conflict, Displacement, Land and Identity in North Kivu, Democratic Republic of Congo, Citizenship and Displacement in the Great Lakes Region, Working Paper, no. 3 (International Refugee Rights Initiative & Social Science Research Council, March 2010) [text]
Displacement and Dispossession in the Modern Middle East, by Dawn Chatty (Cambridge Univ. Press, March 2010) [info] [TOC]
- Chapter 5 is entitled "Palestinian dispossession and exodus."
Plurality and Citizenship in Israel: Moving Beyond the Jewish/Palestinian Civil Divide, ed. by Dan Avnon & Yotam Benziman (Routledge, Dec. 2009) [info]
- Chapter 3 by Howard Adelman is entitled "Refugee Return: By Right and/or By Law."
Reparations to Palestinian Refugees: A Comparative Perspective, by Shahira Samy (Routledge, Feb. 2010) [info]
Dispossession and Displacement: Forced Migration in the Middle East and North Africa, ed. by Dawn Chatty & Bill Finlayson (Oxford Univ. Press, May 2010) [info] [TOC]
- Includes "Internal Displacement in the Occupied Palestinian Territories of the West Bank and East Jerusalem: The Intersection of Politics and the Loss of Livelihoods," by Maher Bitar and "The Intractability of the Cyprus and Palestinian Conflicts: Refugees and National Humiliation," by Peter Loizos & Tobias Kelly
Palestinian Refugees: Identity, Space and Place in the Levant, ed. by Are Knudsen & Sari Hanafi (Routledge, June 2010) [info]
25 March 2010
Cooking Fuel Needs in Haiti: A Rapid Assessment (Women's Refugee Commission, March 2010) [text]
The Many Faces of Statelessness, NTS Alert no. 2 (Centre for Non-Traditional Security Studies, Feb. 2010) [text]
"Measles outbreaks in displaced populations: a review of transmission, morbidity and mortality associated factors," BMC International Health and Human Rights, 10:5 (2010) [open access article]
A Time Between: Moving on from internal displacement in Uganda (UNHCR, March 2010) [text]
Understanding Statelessness: Issues, Challenges and Opportunities, NTS Alert no. 1 (Centre for Non-Traditional Security Studies, Feb. 2010) [text]
24 March 2010
Intervention: International Journal of Mental Health, Psychosocial Work and Counselling in Areas of Armed Conflict, vol. 7, no. 3 (Nov. 2009) [contents]
- Special issue on "Combining qualitative and quantitative research methods to support psychosocial and mental health programmes in complex emergencies."
Intervention: International Journal of Mental Health, Psychosocial Work and Counselling in Areas of Armed Conflict, vol. 8, no. 1 (March 2010) [contents]
- Mix of articles.
Migration Letters, vol. 7, no. 1 (April 2010) [contents]
- Special issue on "Research Methods in Ethnic and Migration Studies"; includes "Forced migration and psychosocial health: meaning-making through autobiographical narratives in the UK."
Refugee Participation Network Archive [access]
- Predecessor to Forced Migration Review; scroll down to view issues published between 1987 and 1997.
Torture Journal, vol. 20, no. 1 (2010) [full-text]
- Mix of articles.
- Forced Migration Review special supplement on "HIV/AIDS, security and conflict," to be published in October 2010, seeks policy-oriented articles. Submissions are due 3 May 2010.
Tagged Periodicals and Events & Opportunities.
A Day in Life at Kakuma Refugee Camp (Story Doula, March 2010) [pt. 1] [pts. 2 & 3]
- Documentary made by a young Ugandan woman in Kakuma through FilmAid's Participatory Video Project; for more info., see Q&A.
"An evaluation of the Kakuma Emotional Wellbeing Interview (KEWI)," Intervention, vol. 7, no. 3 (Nov. 2009) [abstract]
- See related paper by same author: "The Development and Evaluation of the Kakuma Emotional Wellbeing Interview (KEWI)"
Refugee camp is icon of past and present African crises (AlertNet Blog, March 2010) [text]
"Responses to Intimate Partner Violence in Kakuma Refugee Camp: Refugee Interactions with Agency Systems," Social Science & Medicine, vol. 70, no. 1 (Jan. 2010) [free full-text]
New Kakuma Camp Resource (1/09)
Kakuma Continued (11/08)
Spotlight on Kakuma (11/08)
More on Kakuma, Relations with Turkana (11/08)
Kakuma Refugee Camp Research (11/08)
Kakuma Revisited (4/07)
Kakuma Refugee Camp (2/07)
[Map credit: Kenya Country Operations page, UNHCR]
Tagged Publications and Web Sites/Tools.
23 March 2010
Publications: Asylum Stats., Haiti, IDPs/Kenya, Peacekeeping/Darfur, Right to Counsel, Unacc. Minors/UK
"'Death is Different' and a Refugee's Right to Counsel," Cornell International Law Journal, vol. 42, no. 3 (Fall 2009) [access]
Earthquake in Haiti (PAHO, March 2010) [text]
Evidence-Based Peacekeeping: Exploring the Epidemiology of Lethal Violence in Darfur (Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, March 2010) [text]
Frequently Asked Questions on IDPs in Kenya (OCHA, Feb. 2010) [text]
Safe at Last? Children on the Front Line of UK Border Control (Refugee and Migrant Justice, March 2010) [text]
American Society of International Law, 104th Annual Meeting, "International Law in a Time of Change," 24-27 March 2010 [info]
- Panels include: "Haiti: International Law and Disaster," March 25; "Occupation and Refugee Status: State Responsibility Arising out of War, Intervention, and Prolonged Foreign Territorial Control," March 26.
American University Washington College of Law, "Combating Human Trafficking and Forced Labor: The Obama Administration's Global Agenda," 24 March 2010 [info]
Refugees International and the British Embassy, "Climate Refugees" Screening, 25 March 2010 [info]
- Documentary film by Michael Nash. Visit the official web site for more information and a trailer.
Washington Office on Latin America, "Efforts to Combat Impunity in the Chocó and Implement the Rights of Afro-Colombian and Indigenous Internally Displaced Persons," 26 March 2010 [info]
Tagged Events & Opportunities.
22 March 2010
An Inventory of the Slums in Nairobi (Pamoja Trust, 2009?) [text]
Kenya: Tackling the crisis of urban poverty (IRIN, Jan. 2010) [text]
"Policing with prejudice: how policing exacerbates poverty among urban refugees," The International Journal of Human Rights, vol. 14, no. 1 February 2010 [abstract]
Urban Margins, vol. 1, no. 1 (March 2010) [text]
- "Highlights the humanitarian consequences of urbanization in Kenya."
Urban Poverty and Vulnerability in Kenya: The urgent need for co-ordinated action to reduce urban poverty (Oxfam, Sept. 2009) [text]
- Mix of articles.
International Journal of Migration, Health and Social Care, vol. 5, no. 3 (Nov. 2009) [contents]
- Mix of articles.
Journal of Conflict Resolution, vol. 54, no. 1 (Feb. 2010) [contents]
- Mix of articles.
New England Journal of Medicine, articles on Haiti [free full-text]
- This is a list of results for a search on Haiti.
Torture Journal, vol. 20, no. 1 (2010) [contents via PubMed]
- See first five articles.
20 March 2010
Publications: Asylum & China's One-Child Policy, Human Rts. Rpt., Iraq, Reconstruction, Refugee Protection/Greece, TVET/Sudan
"Assessing Asylum Claims from Children Born in Violation of China’s One-Child Policy: What the United States Can Learn from Australia," Wisconsin International Law Journal, vol. 27, no. 1 (2009) [text]
Iraq: Humanitarian Needs Persist (Refugees International, March 2010) [text]
Safer Homes, Stronger Communities: A Handbook for Reconstructing after Natural Disasters (World Bank, March 2010) [text via ReliefWeb]
Technical, Vocational, and Entrepreneurial Capacities in Southern Sudan: Assessment and Opportunities (Centre for Refugee Studies & Plan International, 2010) [text]
Third party intervention by the Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights, under Article 36, paragraph 2, of the European Convention on Human Rights, CommDH(2010)9 (EU Commissioner for Human Rights, March 2010) [text]
- See related commentary from the Free Movement blog.
[Photo credit: "Foreign Secretary Launches Human Rights Report," FCO]
19 March 2010
For more information about this event, you can...
- Watch the Symposium live.
- Read these related documents: Eric Schwartz's speech, "Advancing Protection in the 21st Century: Reflections on the 30th Anniversary of the U.S. Refugee Act"; UNHCR's press release, "UNHCR chief praises achievements of US refugee programme, calls for continued reform."
- Review recommendations from the Symposium.
- See a video on the Refugee Act of 1980 from Human Rights First.
[Photo credit: Vox Populi]
Tagged Events & Opportunities, Publications and Web Sites/Tools.
18 March 2010
Other recent documents relating to statelessness:
Birth Registration: A Topic Proposed for an Executive Committee Conclusion on International Protection, EC/61/SC/CRP.5 (EXCOM Standing Committee, Feb. 2010) [text]
Citizenship Law in Africa (Open Society Institute & AfriMAP, Oct. 2009) [text]
Count Every Child: The Right to Birth Registration (PLAN, 2009) [text]
From Mariel Cubans to Guantanamo Detainees: Stateless Persons Detained under U.S. Authority (Equal Rights Trust, Jan. 2010) [text]
Human Rights and Arbitrary Deprivation of Nationality: Report of the Secretary-General, A/HRC/13/34 (UN Human Rights Council, Dec. 2009) [text via Refworld]
Update on Equal Rights Trust "Project on Detention of Stateless Persons," Equal Rights Review, vol. 4 (2009) [text]
17 March 2010
Ethnic and Racial Studies, vol. 33, no. 4 (2010) [contents]
- Special issue on "New Racial Issues of Policing: International Perspectives on Evolving Law-Enforcement Politics."
European Journal of Migration and Law, vol. 12, no. 1 (2010) [contents]
- Includes "A Contested Asylum System: The European Union between Refugee Protection and Border Control in the Mediterranean Sea."
Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, vol. 36, no. 4 (2010) [contents]
- Mix of articles.
"Journal of Immigrant & Refugee Studies: Read 5 Most Downloaded Articles in 2009 for Free!" [access]
- Includes "U.S. Response to Human Trafficking: Is It Enough?"
New journal title:
Journal of International Humanitarian Legal Studies [info] [author instructions]
- First issue due in Spring 2010. Two prospective articles in the journal include:
"Disasters and displacement: Gaps in protection," by M. Bradley and R. Cohen, and "Mixing Apples and Hand Grenades: The Logical Limit of Applying Human Rights Norms to Armed Conflict," by G.S. Corn.
16 March 2010
Publications: Climate Refugees, Conflict & Fragility, ECRE Comments, HC Dialogue Rpt., Southern Sudan,
"From Economic Refugees to Climate Refugees? Review of International Refugee Law and Socio-Economic Rights: Refuge from Deprivation by Michelle Foster," Melbourne Journal of International Law, vol. 10, no. 2 (October 2009) [text]
Report of the High Commissioner's 2009 Dialogue on Urban Settings (UNHCR, March 2010) [text]
Southern Sudan 2010: Mitigating a Humanitarian Disaster (Norwegian Refugee Council, March 2010) [text via Human Security Gateway]
Working Effectively in Conflict-affected and Fragile Situations (DFID, March 2010) [summary note] [access to series]
- Series of 9 briefing notes from DFID: A = Analysing Conflict and Fragility, B = Do No Harm, C = Links between Politics, Security and Development, D = Promoting non-discrimination, E = Aligning with Local Priorities, F = Practical Coordination Mechanisms, G = Act Fast … but Stay Engaged, H = Risk Management, I = Monitoring and Evaluation
15 March 2010
Le nombre d’arrêts de la Cour européenne des droits de l’homme concernant des demandeurs d’asile a considérablement augmenté ces dernières années. D’une moyenne d’un arrêt par an depuis son premier arrêt en cette matière (Cruz Varas et autres c. Suède, C. pl., 20 mars 1991), la Cour de Strasbourg est passée à une moyenne de dix arrêts par an depuis l’arrêt Mamatkoulov et Askarov c. Turquie, GC, du 4 février 2005. L’étude de ses arrêts révèle aussi que cette augmentation va de pair avec un changement d’attitude de la part de la Cour. Alors qu’elle se montrait dans ses premiers arrêts plutôt réservée, elle apparaît depuis lors plus sévère à l’égard des gouvernements défendeurs, tout en étant plus bienveillante à l’égard des intérêts des demandeurs d’asile.
A detailed table of contents is also available.
R.C. v. Sweden, Application no. 41827/07 (9 March 2010)
- "Deporting an Iranian dissident to Iran would be contrary to the Convention."
Text of case
Summary from ECHR
Al-Saadoon and Mufdhi v. United Kingdom, Application no. 61498/08 (2 March 2010)
- The "basic question raised by the case is whether the transfer by the UK of the applicants who were in the custody of UK troops in Iraq to Iraqi authorities for trial violated the applicants ECHR rights, specifically the non-refoulement principle established by the Court in Soering v. UK, inter alia because there was serious risk of them being subjected to the death penalty."
Text of case
Summary from European Journal of International Law blog
Baysakov and Others v Ukraine, Application no. 54131/08 (18 Feb. 2010)
- Found that Kazakh political refugees would be at risk if extradited to Ukraine.
Text of case
Summary from Interights
Z.N.S. v. Turkey, Application no. 21896/08 (19 Jan. 2010)
- Found that an "Iranian refugee converted to Christianity would be at risk of ill-treatment if deported to her home country."
Text of case
Summary from NCADC
Muskhadzhiyeva and others v. Belgium, Application no. 41442/07 (19 Jan. 2010)
- Addressed the issue of children in detention.
Text of case (French only)
Summary from the Quaker Asylum and Refugee Network (QARN)
Rantsev v. Cyprus and Russia, Application no. 25965/04 (7 Jan. 2010)
- Addressed the issue of cross border human trafficking.
Text of case
Summaries from ECHR Blog and Interights
For other ECHR texts, browse through Refworld's collection.
[Photo credit: Photo no. 2, Hearings at the Court, 2010]
13 March 2010
"Different Needs – Equal Opportunities: Increasing Effectiveness of Humanitarian Action for Women, Girls, Boys and Men," IASC eCourse, available as of 8 March 2010 [info]
- Three hour, self-paced online course.
"Moving Pictures: Experiences of Migration," Oxford, 20-26 March 2010 [info]
- Photo exhibition.
"From research objects to active subjects: Reflections on the politics of researching asylum," ICAR Seminar Series 2010: Researching Asylum Seekers, Refugees and Migrants, City University, 25 March 2010 [info]
- Time: 4-5:30 pm
"Hidden and exposed: urban refugees in Nairobi, Kenya," Overseas Development Institute, 25 March [info]
- Time: 1:00-2:30 pm
CARFMS10: Forced Migration - Challenges and Change, McMaster University, 6-8 May 2010 [info]
- Deadline for early registration is 5 April 2010; travel subsidy applications due by 18 April 2010.
Strengthening Prevention and Response to Gender-Based Violence (GBV) in Refugee and Internally Displaced Person (IDP) Settings, Nairobi, 12-23 April 2010 [info]
- Two-week course.
CFP: LGBTI Asylum Seekers & Refugees: A Case of Double Jeopardy?, University of Greenwich, 5-7 July 2010 [info]
- Submit paper proposals for this conference by 16 April 2010.
CMRS Short Courses, American University in Cairo [info]
- Two courses are on offer: "Meeting the Psychosocial Needs of Refugees," 6-10 June and "Introduction to International Refugee Law," 20-24, 26 June; the application deadline for both is 26 April 2010.
"Assessing Public Health in Emergency Situations," Université catholique de Louvain, 5-16 July 2010 [info]
- Apply for this two-week course by 30 April 2010.
Tagged Events & Opportunities.
12 March 2010
Publications: Durable Solutions, Forced Migr. & Dev., Iraqis & Employ./US, Ref. Women/UK, Resettled Sudanese & Comm., Sudanese IDPs & Elections
Forced Displacement: The Development Challenge (World Bank, Dec. 2009) [text]
Home Alone? A Review of the Relationship between Repatriation, Mobility and Durable Solutions for Refugees, PDES/2010/02 (UNHCR, March 2010) [text]
IDPs and Elections in Sudan (IDP Action, March 2010) [text]
Iraqi Refugees and Special Immigrant Visa Holders Face Challenges Resettling in the United States and Obtaining U.S. Government Employment (GAO, March 2010) [text]
Rape and sexual violence: the experiences of refugee women in the UK (Refugee Council, March 2010) [text]
Both come on the heels of the latest issue of the Global Responsibility to Protect journal which focuses on "Protecting IDPs and Refugees." Contents include:
- "Reconciling R2P with IDP Protection," by R. Cohen
- "Forced Migration, the Refugee Regime and the Responsibility to Protect," by S. Martin
- "Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed … Something Blue? The Protection Potential of a Marriage of Concepts between R2P and IDP Protection," by E. Mooney
- "EU Migration Policy: Evolving Ideas of Responsibility and Protection," E. Haddad
- "Regime-Induced Displacement and Decision-Making Within the United Nations Security Council: The Cases of Northern Iraq, Kosovo, and Darfur," P. Orchard
- "Refugees, IDPs and the Responsibility to Protect (R2P): The Case of Darfur," H. Adelman
- "Turning Words into Deeds? The Implementation of the 'Responsibility to Protect'," J. Welsh
- "Values versus Power: Responsible Sovereignty as Struggle in Zimbabwe," H. Slim
- "R2P or Not R2P? More Statebuilding, Less Responsibility," D. Chandler
- "Implementing the Responsibility to Protect: The Power of R2P Talk," M. Serrano
11 March 2010
For human rights trends identified in 2009, read Asst. Secretary Michael Posner's comments and the introduction to the report. A webcast of the launch of the report is available here.
Previous editions are available here.
A post from Refugees International's WorldBridge blog that summarizes discussions that took place during a recent panel on "The Global Implications of Climate Migration."
A special section in the latest issue of Journal of International Development (vol. 22, no. 2, March 2010) that features four papers on climate-related disaster risk reduction, including "Rethinking climate refugees and climate conflict: Rhetoric, reality and the politics of policy discourse."
A chapter entitled "Promoting Justice within the International Legal System: Prospects for Climate Refugees" that appears in Climate Law and Developing Countries: Legal and Policy Challenges for the World Economy (Edward Elgar, Jan. 2010).
Yet another chapter on "Global Adaptation Governance: The Case of Protecting Climate Refugees" that is included in Global Climate Governance beyond 2012: Architecture, Agency and Adaptation (Cambridge University Press, Feb. 2010).
A new book that will be published in April: Climate Refugees documents the changes wrought by climate change through photographs which offer a look at the human impact of rising temperatures in nine locations.
Tagged Publications and Periodicals.
New Issues of Am. J. Bioethics, Disasters, Intl. Migration, JIRS, Social Analysis, Women's Asylum News
- Includes the target article, "Returning to History: The Ethics of Researching Asylum Seeker Health in Australia," along with five peer commentaries that discuss the ethics of refugee and asylum seeker research.
Disasters, vol. 34, no. 2 (April 2010) [contents]
- Mix of articles including "Financing of internal displacement: excerpts from the Sri Lankan experience."
International Migration, vol. 48, no. 2 (April 2010) [contents]
- Mix of articles, with several focusing on integration and social networks.
Journal of Immigrant and Refugee Studies, vol. 8, no. 1 (2010) [contents]
- Mix of articles, including "From Persecution to Destitution: A Snapshot of Asylum Seekers' Housing and Settlement Experiences in Canada and the United Kingdom," "A Study of the Roles of NGOs for North Korean Refugees' Human Rights," and "Social Construction of Human Trafficking on YouTube: An Exploratory Study."
Social Analysis, vol. 53, no. 3 (Winter 2009) [contents]
- Includes special feature on "Migration, Development, and Transnationalization: A Critical Stance."
Women's Asylum News, no. 90 (March 2010) [full-text via Refworld]
- Celebrates 10 years of the Women's Project at Asylum Aid.
10 March 2010
- Special issue on "Conflict prevention and development co-operation in Africa." Includes a personal reflection by Sadako Ogata, former UN High Commissioner for Refugees.
Development in Practice, vol. 20, no. 2 (2010) [contents]
- Mix of articles.
Gender and Education, vol. 22,no. 2 (2010 ) [contents]
- Includes a special section on "Forced migration, gender and education."
Journal of Conflict and Security Law, vol. 14, no. 3 (Winter 2009) [contents]
- Articles in this issue examine the interplay between international humanitarian law and human rights law.
Netherlands Quarterly of Human Rights, vol. 28, no. 1 (March 2010) [contents]
- Mix of articles.
09 March 2010
Publications: Cultural Persecution, Human Rights & IDPs, Iraqi Resettlement/Syria, Natural Disasters & Human Rights
- In part, explores "the adjudication of asylum claims based on 'cultural persecution'."
The Human Rights of Internally Displaced Persons (Brookings-Bern Project on Internal Displacement, March 2010) [text]
- Speech to the Human Rights Council upon presenting final annual report as Representative of the Secretary-General on the Human Rights of Internally Displaced Persons.
Natural Disasters, Conflict, and Human Rights: Tracing the Connections (Brookings-Bern Project on Internal Displacement, March 2010) [text]
Stateless and Starving: Persecuted Rohingya Flee Burma and Starve in Bangladesh (Physicians for Human Rights, March 2010) [text]
Syria: The Road to Third Country Resettlement for Iraqi Refugees (IRIN, March 2010) [text]
[Photo credit: UN News Centre, Nov. 2009]
08 March 2010
Past Events: Climate Migration, Human Rights in Haiti, IDP Protection, Middle East Displacement, U.S. Asylum Law
12th International Association for the Study of Forced Migration (IASFM) Conference, Nicosia, Cyprus. 28 June–2 July 2009 [access]
- Listen to the podcasts of the plenary discussions.
"Asylum & Refugee Law National Moot Court Competition," UC Davis School of Law, 6 Feb. 2010 [access]
- Read the problem presented and the competitors' briefs.
"Displacement and Dispossession in the Modern Middle East," UCLA Center for Near Eastern Studies, 12 Jan. 2010 [access]
- Listen to the lecture by Dawn Chatty.
"The Global Implications of Climate Migration," Center for American Progress, 1 March 2010 [access]
- Watch the video.
"Haiti’s Human Rights Challenges and the Responsibility of the International Community," Human Rights and Human Welfare Roundtable, Feb. 2010 [access]
- Review the various expert statements.
"Promoting Better Protection of Internally Displaced Persons," Brookings-Bern Project on Internal Displacement, 19 Feb. 2010 [access]
- Read the transcript of the event.
[Photo credit: Fourth plenary event, IASFM 12, July 2009]
Tagged Events & Opportunities.
06 March 2010
Publications: Accountability Evidence, Durable Solutions & IDPs, Peace Efforts/Somalia, Refugee Youth/Australia, Standing Comm.
Framework on Durable Solutions for Internally Displaced Persons, UN Doc. No. A/HRC/13/21/Add.4 (UN Human Rights Council, Feb. 2010) [text]
Improving Accountability to Beneficiaries: What Evidence is Needed? (HAP, Jan. 2010) [text]
"Place-making, settlement and well-being: The therapeutic landscapes of recently arrived youth with refugee backgrounds," Health & Place, vol. 16, no. 1 (Jan. 2010) [free full-text]
“Voices of the dispossessed: displacement and peacebuilding in the Somali regions” in Whose Peace Is It Anyway? Connecting Somali and International Peacemaking, Accord, no. 21 (Conciliation Resources, 2010) [text]
05 March 2010
- Leaving Mogadishu: Towards a Sociology of Conflict-Related Mobility [free full-text] [related working paper]
- Predicting Stress Related to Basic Needs and Safety in Darfur Refugee Camps: A Structural and Social Ecological Analysis [abstract] [author blog] [author homepage]
- Sedentary Policies and Transnational Relations: A ‘Non-sustainable’ Case of Return to Bosnia [abstract]
- The Status of the Asylum-seeking Child in Norway and Denmark: Comparing Discourses, Politics and Practices [abstract] [author homepage]
- The Experiences of Students from Refugee Backgrounds at Universities in Australia: Reflections on the Social, Emotional and Practical Challenges [abstract]
European Journal of Development Research, vol. 22, no. 1 (Feb. 2010) [contents]
- Mix of articles, including "The Concept, Causes and Consequences of Failed States: A Critical Review of the Literature and Agenda for Research with Specific Reference to Sub-Saharan Africa."
International Migration Review, vol. 44, no. 1 (Spring 2010) [contents]
- Mix of articles.
Journal of Human Rights Practice, vol. 2, no. 1 (March 2010) [contents]
- Includes mini-features on "Human Rights Fieldwork" and "Children and Armed Conflict."
Revue Humanitaire, no. 23 (Dec. 2009) [full-text]
- Focus is on international humanitarian law.
Revista Interdisciplinar da Mobilidade Humana [info]
- Upcoming issues will focus on "migration policies" and "forced migration."
04 March 2010
Publications: Assessing APCI, Climate, Dams/Lesotho, Trafficking in Persons Rpt. Update, Unacc. Children/US
Climate Change and Migration: Sorting through Complex Issues without the Hype (Migration Information Source, March 2010) [text]
Institutions of Water Management and Conflict Resolution in Lesotho on a Local Level: An empirical study of displacement areas of the Lesotho Highlands Water Project, Working Paper, no. 22 (MICROCON, March 2010 [text]
"The Measure of a Society: The Treatment of Unaccompanied Refugee and Immigrant Children in the United States," Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review, vol. 45, no. 1 (Winter 2010) [text]
Trafficking in Persons Interim Assessment (U.S. Department of State, Feb. 2010) [text]
- Update to 2009 Trafficking in Persons report.
03 March 2010
Publications: Education & Conflict, Food Security & Protracted Crises, IDPs/DRC, Reconstruction/Haiti, Social Welfare/UK
Haiti: From the Ground Up (Refugees International, March 2010) [text]
Protecting Education from Attack: A State-of-the-Art Review (UNESCO, 2010) [text]
- Includes chapter 4, "Education and protection of children and youth affected by armed conflict: An essential link" and chapter 5, "Political violence against education sector aid workers in confl ict zones: A preliminary investigation into the possible link between attacks and the increased merging of security and development policy." See also companion volume, "Education under Attack 2010."
"Welfare, Asylum and the Politics of Judgment," Journal of Social Policy, vol. 39, no. 1 (Jan. 2010) [free full-text]
When Emergencies Last for Decades: How to Improve Food Security in Protracted Crises (FAO, Feb. 2010) [text via ReliefWeb]
[Map credit: DRC: Mouvements de populations de janvier 2009 à janvier 2010]
02 March 2010
Publications: Aid Trends, Asylum/UK, Asylum Seekers/Libya, EMN Glossary, Forced Evictions, Refugee Contributions/Australia, WASH & Oxfam
Asylum and Migration Glossary (European Migration Network, Jan. 2010) [access]
- Updated edition.
Do They Know? Asylum Seekers Testify to Life in Libya (JRS Malta, Dec. 2009) [text]
Economic, Civic and Social Contributions of Refugees and Humanitarian Entrants: A Literature Review (Refugee Council of Australia, Feb. 2010) [text]
Global Humanitarian Assistance Update (Development Initiatives, Feb. 2010) [text]
Global Survey on Forced Evictions: Violations of Human Rights, 2007-2008 (Centre on Housing Rights & Evictions, 2009) [access]
The WASH Factor: Oxfam's experiences with humanitarian coordination for water, sanitation and health (Oxfam, Feb. 2010) [text]
01 March 2010
- Mix of articles.
International Journal of Refugee Law, vol. 22, no. 1 (March 2010) [contents]
- Includes the following articles: "The Marine I Case: a Comment"; "A Legal History: The Emergence of the African Resettlement Candidate in International Refugee Management"; "Muslim Women's Claims to Refugee Status Within the Context of Child Custody Upon Divorce Under Islamic Law"; and "A Comparative Analysis of the Response of the UNHCR and Industrialized States to Rapidly Fluctuating Refugee Status and Asylum Applications: Lessons and Best Practices for RSD Systems Design and Administration." It also reproduces the text of the African Union Convention for the Protection and Assistance of Internally Displaced Persons in Africa: (Kampala Convention) and includes 6 book reviews.
Journal of Migration and Refugee Issues, vol. 5, no. 2 (2009) [contents]
- Includes an extended book review essay as well as an article entitled "Ineffective Assistance of Counsel in Removal Proceedings: 'Matter of Compean and the Fundamental Fairness Doctrine'."