27 November 2009

Self-Archiving Guide: Postscript

Just to follow-up on my SSRN deposit experience, I have now received confirmation that my document - "'Is that Forced Migration Text Online?' Testing an Information Access Rule of Thumb" - is available. One caveat: When I first uploaded my document, I neglected to "save" the action so the PDF was not actually included in my initial submission, even though everything else was. However, once I realized this, I simply returned to my profile, re-uploaded the document, waited once again for the review to be completed, and voila!

In sum, what options are available for forced migration researchers who wish to archive their works? The first consideration should be one's home institution. Check openDOAR to see if your university is listed as having a repository. If it is not, then authors around the world without an institutional repository now have the chance to deposit their research output with EDINA's Depot.

Alternatively, as I demonstrated in my two previous posts on self-archiving journal eprints and unpublished papers, you can elect to go with a disciplinary or subject-based repository, like SSRN. Check the Open Access Directory (OAD) for other options.

Finally, while Forced Migration Online (FMO) has not widely advertised its digital library as an open access repository, it has migrated its collection to the open source Fedora platform and it is now interoperable with other open access repository systems. So, effectively, FMO can be viewed as a repository for the forced migration field and researchers can submit their documents accordingly.

Tagged Publications and Web Sites/Tools.

No comments: