18 October 2010

Open Access Week: Overview of Concepts


The "Very Brief Introduction to Open Access" referenced in my last post describes two main mechanisms for providing open access (OA) to research: OA journals and OA archives or repositories. I provided an introduction to both of these vehicles during last year's OA Week, and included examples from the forced migration context. Check out the posts here: Journals and Archives/Repositories.

Last year, I also introduced the concept of "self-archiving" to readers, and talked about how authors can deposit their journal research in archives/repositories. Subsequently, I supplemented this initial discussion with a practical guide to self-archiving "journal article eprints" and "unpublished papers" followed by a "postscript."

Finally, I closed OA Week 2009 with a post on Creative Commons Licenses, or tools that authors can use to explicitly indicate how they want their works to be used and shared.

This year, I plan to profile specific forced migration resources that have embraced open access.

Tagged Events & Opportunities.

No comments: