29 July 2019

Admin: A Few Changes...

Two weeks ago, I indicated that I would be making some changes to this blog so that it was easier for me to manage and update, particularly after I have been away from my computer for an extended period. Now that I have cleared out my backlog of references, I am ready to begin tweaking the kind of information I post.

As a reminder, my principal objective has been to support the forced migration research community by facilitating access to full-text information online. When I first launched this service, I posted four categories of information types -- "publications," "periodicals," "events & opportunities" and "web sites/tools" -- on four separate blogs! I eventually integrated them under one umbrella blog, and subsequently began grouping references under regional and thematic headings to create mini-bibliographies.

Over the years, a number of information sources have come and gone on this blog (theses & dissertations are one example). Deciding what to set aside generally comes down to how much of a challenge it is to monitor and whether or not it is easily accessible via another service. With that in mind, I will begin reducing coverage of these information types/themes:
- News/media reports: Over time, what I count as a "publication" has greatly expanded to include a lot more news and commentary. However, I never intended to run a news blog and there are much better resources out there for monitoring current developments (Twitter, for one!).
- Events & opportunities: I have never felt that this was a strong suit of mine, and to do this properly requires visiting a wide variety of resources. While I will still reference events & opportunities on occasion, I will dispense with the monthly postings.
- Health-related issues: Since this is a more specialized subject area and since there is already a great database available (PubMed), I will longer systematically monitor health matters, although the occasional health-related reference may still appear under the regional groupings.
- Display of legal references: I used to be more diligent about bookmarking references to relevant law review articles that were not available full-text. These in turn were displayed on the right side of my blog just under the search box. Since the display is now out-of-date, I will be removing it. Apologies!

Moving forward, my emphasis will continue to be on open access journal articles and books/book chapters, as well as grey literature in the form of research reports, working/discussion papers and conference materials (including multimedia). I will continue to highlight new issues of periodicals, even if they are not open access, since this is a key way to discover what articles have been written and whether or not other versions of them are available.

This week, I will prepare various posts on how to track down specific types of information as well as information on specific themes/issues.

Thanks for your patience and support! And please share any thoughts you might have in a comment.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should still cover dissertations and theses, as often these are very interesting and the precursor for a future law journal article.

Boris said...

Dear Elisa,
many, many thanks for your work!

We're happy to learn that your intended changes are in line with what we use your blog mostly for: being updated on new grey literature. Amongst other uses, we are subscribed to your blog to find publications we might otherwise have missed for ecoi.net.

We're looking forward to reading your future posts as well as your work on the Forced Migration Guide.


Best wishes,
Boris
ACCORD
Austrian Red Cross

Statelessness said...

Thanks for all your hard work! But please consider keeping up with the events and opportunities every month! I understand that you can't include everything or even do a thorough survey of what's going on, but I find it one of the most useful parts of the blog in part because of your curation.

Paula Pimenta said...

First of all, I would like to say thank you for your work. This blog is extremely helpful for those dedicated to forced migration issues. Regarding the changes, I agree with the comment above about 'events and opportunities'. It's one of most useful sections to me along with 'publications'.