06 October 2009

Images: Finding and Using Them

[CC image courtesy of pharaoh.berger on Flickr]

As you may have noticed, I have started to add a few images to posts, to break up the text monopoly in my blog. Initially, I thought I'd include photos, which are used to great effect in blogs like Humanitarian Relief.

I soon discovered that it's quite time-consuming to locate images that relate in some way to a particular post! There are numerous collections housing forced migration and humanitarian photos, and unless you have a very specific idea of what you're looking for, you can while away the hours browsing through them all. So in the end, I decided to use the International Law Reporter blog as a model, at least for now - a journal cover here, a conference poster there... .

That said, if you want to know more about how to locate and use images, read these posts from my other blog on photo-sharing sites and image search engines. You can also browse through photos that have been made available through various Creative Commons licenses (i.e., they can be re-used under certain conditions or with no restrictions at all) through Flickr. And finally, this article discusses how to properly credit a Creative Commons photo.

Tagged Web Sites/Tools.

No comments: