July 30th is World Day against Trafficking in Persons. It was designated as such by the UN General Assembly in 2013 to "raise awareness of the situation of victims of human trafficking and for the promotion and protection of their rights." For more information and to learn how to show solidarity with trafficking victims, visit OHCHR's Special Rapporteur page, UN Women & UNODC.
Addressing Human Trafficking and Exploitation in Times of Crisis: Evidence and Recommendations for Further Action to Protect Vulnerable and Mobile Populations (IOM, June 2015) [text via ReliefWeb]
- "Undertaken in a time of unprecedented, diverse and simultaneously ongoing crises, with more and more people on the move or displaced, the research confirms that crisis situations can exacerbate existing vulnerabilities to and manifestations of trafficking in persons. In certain contexts, crisis-induced forms of trafficking emerge."
Blurred Lines: When Smuggling Transforms into Trafficking, Victims are Still Treated like Perpetrators (Human Rights First Blog, July 2015) [text]
The Gaps in EU Policies on Migration, Trafficking and Victims' Protection (PICUM Blog, July 2015) [text]
"People at Risk: Combating Human Trafficking along Migration Routes," 15th Conference of the OSCE Alliance against Trafficking in Persons, Vienna, 6-7 July 2015 [info]
- Follow link for video and background resources. See also text of UNHCR keynote address.
Smuggling and Trafficking Human Beings: Questions and Answers (Human Rights Watch, July 2015) [text]
- See also related HRW comment.
Trafficking in Persons Report 2015 (U.S. State Department, July 2015) [text].
- The TIP "represents an updated, global look at the nature and scope of trafficking in persons and the broad range of government actions to confront and eliminate it. The U.S. Government uses the TIP Report to engage foreign governments in dialogues to advance anti-trafficking reforms and to combat trafficking and to target resources on prevention, protection and prosecution programs."
- Thematic Focus: Human Trafficking & Smuggling (22 June 2015)
Tagged Publications and Events & Opportunities.