"Over the coming week, members of the panel and other leading academics will consider what research can tell us about the loss of lives at sea en route to Australia. In the second week, the panel will use this research to form a set of policy responses. During this period, panel members will debate through a blog the various aspects of the research and the policy options and implementation."Blog posts from expert panel members include (watch for more later):
- Asylum seekers in Indonesia: why do they get on boats? [text]
- How immigration policy harms asylum seekers' mental health [text]
Researchers beyond those on the panel are invited to contribute their work to the repository and their comments to the debate. To learn how, click here and scroll down to "We need you and your research."
Here are some of the comments submitted earlier to the government's expert panel:
- Asylum Seeker Resource Centre
- Centre for Policy Development
- Project SafeCom
- Refugee Council of Australia
- More are listed on Julian Burnside's web site
For other analysis on asylum seeker issues in Australia, visit the relevant web page on The Conversation's site.
Tagged Publications and Events & Opportunities.