A boat carrying over 500 migrants, mainly from Eritrea, caught fire and capsized near the island of Lampedusa, Italy yesterday; only 155 survived. For more information, see:
- Deaths at Sea off the Italian Coast: ECRE Calls for Safe Channels for Refugees to Reach Europe (ECRE)
- Divers Resume Search after Sicily Migrant Boat Disaster (Thomson Reuters)
- More than 100 Migrants Die in Second Horrific Shipwreck This Week (Amnesty International)
- Rescue Efforts Focus on Survivors of Lampedusa Boat Tragedy as Search Suspended (UNHCR)
- Tragic Accident Outside Lampedusa: Statement by European Commissioner for Home Affairs, Cecilia Malmström (European Commission)
This article in the Telegraph lists other "worst asylum seeker ship disasters."
Asylum Trends 2010-2012: Provisional Statistical Figures for Central Europe (UNHCR, 2013) [text]
"Asylum-Seekers and People in Need of International Protection," Chapter 5 in Social Benefits and Migration: A Contested Relationship and Policy Challenge in the EU (CEPS, Sept. 2013) [text]
Support for Asylum Seekers in Ireland: 2013 Survey Results (Trinity College Dublin, Sept. 2013) [access]
Immigration and Asylum Appeal Decisions (UK Ministry of Justice) [access]
- This new service "allows you to find judges’ decisions on immigration and asylum appeals, which have been decided by the Upper Tribunal Immigration and Asylum Chamber (UTIAC)." It includes all reported decisions of the Tribunal as well as unreported decisions issued after 1 June 2013. See also related press release.
Refugee Protection and the Dublin System: Can They Ever Be Compatible?, Dublin, 6-8 December 2013 [info]
- Registration is now open; deadline to register is 4 November 2013.
Tagged Events & Opportunities, Publications and Web Sites/Tools.