2017 Humanitarian Needs Overview: Haiti (OCHA, Nov. 2016) [text]
"Argentina’s Trump-Like Immigration Order Rattles South America," New York Times, 4 Feb. 2017 [text]
Colombia: New Report Depicts Difficult Humanitarian Situation in Border Areas (UNHCR et al., Feb. 2017) [text]
- Note: Includes to the text of the report, "Informe defensorial sobre las zonas de frontera," in Spanish.
Deciding Asylum: Challenges Remain as Claims Soar (AULA Blog, Jan. 2017) [text]
- Note: This post references the Country Conditions in Central America & Asylum Decision-Making workshop held last month; video and a report from that workshop will be made available eventually.
How the 'Safe Country' Concept is Putting Refugees Out in the Cold (Refugees Deeply, Feb. 2017) [text]
'Immigration Act of 1917' Turns 100: America's Long History of Immigration Prejudice (LiveScience, Feb. 2017) [text]
The Impact of President Trump’s Executive Orders on Asylum Seekers (Harvard Law School, Feb. 2017) [access]
- Follow link for report and letter to Canada's Prime Minister and Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship regarding the enforcement of the Safe Third Country Agreement with the U.S.
Migration and Asylum of Central Americans in the Trump Era (Borderlands History, Feb. 2017) [text]
"The New Underground Railroad," Maclean's, 3 Feb. 2017 [text]
- "More and more refugees are making a dangerous trek north to Canada to escape a harsh new U.S. regime—risking life and limb."
"These Jurisdictions Have Become 'Asylum Free Zones': In Some US Jurisdictions, the Denial Rate for Refugees Seeking Asylum is as High as 98%," Rights in Exile Newsletter, no. 78 (Feb. 2017) [full-text]
Canada Research-a-thon [access] [Facebook] [Twitter]
- "This nationwide initiative unites students from 22 legal faculties to engage in legal research and the drafting of legal opinions in response to questions posed by the Canadian Council for Refugees (CCR). The research will seek to identify potential legal challenges to the Safe Third Country Agreement and support various CCR mandates."
- Regional Focus: United States (9 Feb. 2017)
- Regional Focus: Americas (19 Jan. 2017)