Update on Search for New HC:
In an earlier post, I referenced the looming departure of the current head of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Mr. Antonio Guterres, and the speculation surrounding his possible replacement. Since then, a second candidate has been announced in the press: Achim Steiner of Germany, who is currently the head of the UN Environment Programme. ICVA has also circulated a call to candidates to publicly respond to five questions. Finally, the following two articles provide further insight into the selection process.
- Bad Time to Change UN Refugee Supremo? (IRIN, Sept. 2015) [text]
- The Right Person for the Job? Selecting the Next UNHCR Chief (BRICS Post, Sept. 2015) [text]
Alternatives to Camps: Making it Work - Good Practice and Guidance Series, Key Action #1: Settlement and Shelter Response (UNHCR, Sept. 2015) [text]
Annual Disaster Statistical Review 2014: The Numbers and Trends (CRED, Sept. 2015) [text via ReliefWeb]
Crisis in Context: The Global Refugee Problem (Center for American Progress, Sept. 2015) [text]
Leaving No One Behind: Internal Displacement and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (IDMC, Sept. 2015) [text]
Migration Crisis: Containing People is not the Answer (ODI Blog, Sept. 2015) [text]
Why Do Countries Build Border Fences? The Answer May Surprise You (UN Dispatch, Sept. 2015) [access]
- See also related Economist article.
The World’s Congested Human Migration Routes in 5 Maps (National Geographic, Sept. 2015) [text]
Migrants in Countries in Crisis Initiative (IOM) [access]
- Launched in 2014, MICIC is "a State-led undertaking which seeks to improve the ability of States and other relevant stakeholders to increase the protection and decrease the vulnerability of migrants affected by crisis situations." Read the background paper and concept note for more info.
- Thematic Focus: General (16 Sept. 2015)
Tagged Publications and Web Sites/Tools.