Are Regional Approaches to Refugee Protection Really the Best Way Forward? (Elgar Blog, June 2016) [text]
"The Concept of 'Place of Safety': Yet Another Self-Contained Maritime Rule or a Sustainable Solution to the Ever-Controversial Question of Where to Disembark Migrants Rescued at Sea?," Australian Year Book of International Law, vol. 33 (2016) [full-text via DiVA IR]
Fixing the Refugee System, Amsterdam, 13 May 2016 [access]
- ESIL lecture by James Hathaway.
Insights from the OHCHR Expert Meeting on Non-Refoulement in International Human Rights Law (GHLG Blog, June 2016) [text]
Introducing the First Multi-blog Series on the Updated Geneva Conventions Commentaries (Humanitarian Law & Policy Blog, June 2016) [text]
- Here is the first official post in the series.
Millions in Asylum Claim Backlog (IRIN, June 2016) [text]
Myth Buster: Memories of Trauma are Engraved on the Brain (Free Movement Blog, June 2016) [text]
Refugee Law and Policy (Library of Congress, updated June 2016) [access]
- "This report describes the law and policy on refugees and other asylum seekers in 22 geographically dispersed countries and, at the supranational level, in the European Union. The individual surveys cover such topics as participation in relevant international conventions; laws and regulations governing the admission of refugees and handling refugee claims; processes for handling refugees arriving at the border; procedures for evaluating whether an applicant is entitled to refugee status; the accommodations and assistance provided to refugees in the jurisdiction; requirements for naturalization; and whether asylum policy has been affected by international emergencies, such as the current refugee crisis in Europe."
A Structured Approach to the Decision Making Process in Refugee and other International Protection Claims, Presented at "The Role of the Judiciary in Asylum and Other
International Protection Law in Asia," Seoul, 10-11 June 2016 [access]
- Follow link for paper and flowchart.
What is the Legal Meaning of "Refugee"? (Free Movement Blog, June 2016) [text]
- Thematic Focus: Law/Policy Items (14 June 2016)