The 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees is now 65 years old. Its anniversary took place on 28 July 2016. Here are a few comments/statements/stories acknowledging this milestone:
- *65 Years on, 65 Million People Forcibly Displaced! (Refugee Law Project Blog, July 2016) [text]
- Amnesty: 'Time for Change' on Refugees (Refugees Deeply, July 2016) [text]
- "From the Cold War to Syria: Seven Decades of Refugee Stories in Britain," The Guardian, 28 July 2016 [text]
- "Refugee Convention of 1951 Still Crucial Cornerstone of Human Rights," DW, 28 July 2016 [text]
- UN Refugee Convention at 65 (Voice of America, July 2016) [text]
"The Future of Refugee Law," 1st Annual Conference of the Refugee Law Initiative, London, 29 June-1 July 2016 [info]
- Slides of presented papers and poster presentations are available here.
"Growing Restrictiveness or Changing Selection? The Nature and Evolution of Migration Policies," International Migration Review, Early View, 1 Aug. 2016 [open access]
Humanity at Sea: Maritime Migration and the Foundations of International Law, London, 27 July 2016 [info]
- Follow link for event recording.
The Nansen Passport: A Solution to the Legal Statuses of Refugees (Social Europe, Aug. 2016) [text]
"Penal Humanitarianism? Sovereign Power in an Era of Mass Migration," New Criminal Law Review (Forthcoming, 2017) [preprint via SSRN]
"The Place of Persecution and Non-State Action in Refugee Protection," Chapter 4 in The Ethics and Politics of Immigration
Core Issues and Emerging Trends (Rowman & Littlefield, Forthcoming Oct. 2016) [preprint via SSRN]
Protection for Survival Migrants: Policy Tweaks for Outsize Impact (CGD Blog, July 2016) [text]
Report of an Expert Workshop on
Understanding Refugee Law as Shared Responsibility
("The Vancouver Principles"), Vancouver, 20-22 July 2016 [text]
Towards Safety: Subsidiary Protection for Survival Migrants (CGD Blog, July 2016) [text]
When Migrants Make Perilous Sea Crossings: The Causal Role of International Law, Presentation at the 110th ASIL Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, 30 March-2 April 2016 [text]
- See also related video.
Refugee Rights Toolkit (Asylum Access) [access]
- Several sections were recently updated and revised.
- Thematic Focus: Law/Policy Items (15 July 2016)