*A Tripartite Agreement was recently signed by UNHCR, Kenya and Somalia spelling out procedures for Somali refugees to return home. For some background on and a summary of the agreement, see also the Joint Communiqué and the speech given by UNHCR's representative in Kenya.
Additional information on the agreement and on the situation of Somali refugees/IDPs can be found as follows:
- Briefing: Repatriating Somali Refugees from Kenya (IRIN, Nov. 2013) [text]
- Kenya to Repatriate Somali Refugees (BBC News, Nov. 2013) [text]
- New Procedures Set for Somali Refugees to Return Home Voluntarily from Kenya (UNHCR, Nov. 2013) [text]
- Tripartite Agreement for Repatriation of Somali Refugees in Kenya (Somalia NGO Consortium, Nov. 2013) [text]
- UNHCR Rep for Kenya, Raouf Mazou, Talks on the Repatriation of Somalis (CCTV Africa, Nov. 2013) [access]
- The Westgate Mall Attack: What it Means for Somali Refugees (Georgetown Journal of International Affairs Online, Nov. 2013) [text]
- When Push Comes to Shove: Displaced Somalis under Threat (Refugees International, Nov. 2013) [text]
FY 2014 Funding Opportunity Announcement for NGO Programs Benefiting Refugees in Ethiopia and Kenya [info]
- Proposal submission deadline is 10 December 2013.
Beyond Boundaries: How to Help Nomadic Refugees (IRIN, Nov. 2013) [text]
Humanitarian Trends in Southern Africa: Challenges and Opportunities (Regional Interagency Standing Committee, Southern Africa, 2013) [text via ReliefWeb]
Rwandan Refugee Abducted from Uganda, UNHCR Disputes Rwandan Claims that He Was a Criminal (RSDWatch, Nov. 2013) [text]
[Map credit: Somalia: Humanitarian Access Map, UN OCHA, Sept. 2013 (HT Jeff Crisp!)]
Tagged Publications and Events & Opportunities.