Events & opportunities:
Priorities for the New UN Secretary-General, London, 2 February 2017 [info]
- Will also be livestreamed.
Request for PRM Humanitarian Research Concept Notes [info]
- Current research areas are "Financial Inclusion of Refugees," "Statelessness," and any other "compelling humanitarian research topic." Proposal submission deadline is 10 March 2017.
10 Things to Know about How to Influence Policy with Research (ODI, Jan. 2017) [text]
For Refugees, 2016 was a Year of Contradictions (World Economic Forum Blog, Jan. 2017) [text]
Global Appeal: 2017 Update (UNHCR, Jan. 2017) [access]
"Iconic Photographs and the Ebb and Flow of Empathic Response to Humanitarian Disasters," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Early Edition, 10 Jan. 2017 [full-text via ResearchGate]
Mass Displacement and the Challenge for Urban Resilience
(ODI, Jan. 2017) [text]
"Notes for the Next UN Secretary-General," Global Responsibility to Protect, vol. 8, no. 4 (2016) [full-text via ReliefWeb]
Planning from the Future: Is the Humanitarian System Fit for Purpose? (Humanitarian Policy Group, Feinstein International Center & King's College London, Nov. 2016) [text]
Suffering in Silence: The 10 Most Under-reported Humanitarian Crises of 2016 (CARE, Jan. 2017) [text via ReliefWeb]
Three Unconventional Places to Look for Humanitarian Solutions in 2017 (ODI, Jan. 2017) [text]
Items to watch for:
Evaluation of UNHCR’s Role as Cluster Lead Agency for the Global Protection Cluster (ITAD) [info]
- "The evaluation has the dual objectives of learning and accountability. The focus will be on learning how the protection clusters at country level are supported by the GPC, and what lessons have been learned by UNHCR in field CLA situations. The evaluation will examine the achievements and challenges of the cluster at global and field level with regard to coordination, capacity building, and support to the field and mainstreaming protection. While the evaluation will look back at achievements against the 2012-15 GPC strategy, it will also seek to make recommendations of relevance to the current 2016-19 strategy." The evaluation should be completed by May 2017.
Refugee Response Index (DARA) [info]
- "DARA is currently developing, in conjunction with strategic partners, practitioners and experts, the Refugee Response Index (RRI). This initiative seeks to measure countries’ response to refugees. At a time where the need to uphold the refugee protection system is more crucial than ever, with one out of 122 persons in the world being refugees, there is more than ever a need to reinvigorate the spirit and principles of the 1951 Refugee Convention, boost country response in support of refugees and reverse the current trend of growing restrictive refugee policies."
- Thematic Focus: General (7 Jan. 2017)
Tagged Publications and Events & Opportunities.