Migrants: Parliament Approves Search and Rescue Rules to Prevent Deaths at Sea (European Parliament, 16 April 2014) [access]
- "New search and rescue rules to clarify how border guards serving in Frontex sea operations should deal with migrants and where they should disembark them were approved by Parliament on Wednesday. The regulation, already informally agreed by Parliament and Council negotiators, should enter into force before this summer." Further information is available via the links on the right side of the page.
For a bit of background, see this overview from the European Parliamentary Research Service. See also related press releases from The Greens/European Free Alliance and Migreurop.
Heading to Europe: Safe Haven or Graveyard?, Nijmegen, Netherlands, 16 May 2014 [info via Migrants at Sea]
- "The aim of the panel discussion is to provide an overview of the legal rules and processes applicable to migration by sea in the Mediterranean and to reflect on their wider sociological implications."
'Boat Refugees' and Migrants at Sea: A Comprehensive Approach Integrating Maritime Security with Human Rights, London, 23-24 June 2014 [info]
- "This conference aims to comprehensively address the contemporary phenomenon of ‘boat migration’ with a holistic approach. We will consider its multiple facets, combining knowledge from several disciplines and regions of the world, with a view to making a decisive contribution to our understanding of current trends, against the background of the fragmentary responses adopted and innumerable tragedies occurred thus far." Registration details are not yet available.
High Commissioner's Dialogue on Protection Challenges, Geneva, 10-11 December 2014
- While no official information is available yet, the HC announced the following in his closing remarks at the 2013 HC Dialogue: "I would like to announce that our intention is to have the Dialogue next year focus on Protection at Sea. I think we are all aware that this represents one of the areas with the most dramatic protection gaps in today's world. We are starting the preparations in close cooperation with the International Maritime Organization, IOM and other organizations to have a meaningful dialogue next year on this topic." UNHCR is also in the process of developing a Global Strategy on Protection at Sea.
"The Essential Role of Malta in Drafting the New Regional Agreement on Migrants at Sea in the Mediterranean Basin," Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce, vol. 44, no. 1 (2013) [full-text]
"International Judges and the Protection of Human Rights at Sea," Chapter in International Courts and the Development of International Law (Asser Press & Springer, 2013) [preview]
"Irregular Migration across the Mediterranean Sea: Problematic Issues Concerning the
International Rules on Safeguard of Life at Sea," Paix et Sécurité Internationales, no. 1 (Janvier-Décembre 2013) [full-text via Peace Palace Library]
Italy Rescues 6,000 People Crossing Mediterranean in Four Days (UNHCR, April 2014) [text]
Lecture Series on Migration in the Mediterranean, Brussels, 10-31 March 2014 [access]
- Although this series has now concluded, information about each of the four lectures is available via the link, as well as podcasts for two of the events.
"Strengthening the Protection of Migrants and Refugees in Distress at Sea through International Cooperation and Burden-Sharing," International Journal of Refugee Law, Advance Access, 24 March 2014 [abstract]
- Thematic Focus: Boat Migration & Maritime Protection (4 March 2014)
- Focus: Maritime Protection (11 Sept. 2012)
Tagged Publications and Events & Opportunities.