Smuggling workshop: The Theory and Practice of Irregular Migration Facilitation, El Paso, Texas, 6-8 April 2017 [info]
Decriminalising ‘Humanitarian Smuggling’, RSC Research in Brief, no. 6 (Refugee Studies Centre, March 2017) [text]
Evidential Issues in Trafficking in Persons Cases: Case Digest (UN Office on Drugs & Crime, 2017) [text]
First Year Activity Report (European Migrant Smuggling Centre, Feb. 2017) [text]
- See also related Independent news story.
"Inside the Deadly Pirate Corridor Where Migrants Escape to Europe," Bloomberg, 21 Feb. 2017 [text]
J. and Others v. Austria and the Strengthening of States’ Obligation to Identify Victims of Human Trafficking (Strasbourg Observers, Feb. 2017) [text]
"The Truth Behind Rescuing Refugees: Is It Fair for the EU Border Agency to Say Rescue Missions Encourage Smuggling?," The Week, 3 March 2017 [text]
Human Trafficking and Slavery Reconsidered: Conceptual Limits and States' Positive Obligations in European Law (Cambridge Univ. Press, March 2017) [info]
- "By reconsidering the definitions of human trafficking, slavery, servitude and forced labour, Vladislava Stoyanova demonstrates how, in embracing the human trafficking framework, the international community has sidelined the human rights law commitments against slavery, servitude and forced labour that in many respects provide better protection for abused migrants. Stoyanova proposes two corrective steps to this development: placing a renewed emphasis on determining the definitional scope of slavery, servitude or forced labour, and gaining a clearer understanding of states' positive human rights obligations."
Combating Human Trafficking along Migration Routes (OSCE) [access]
- This project aims to enhance "the ability of interested participating States and Partners for Co-operation to effectively investigate/prosecute human trafficking and to promptly identify victims of trafficking in human beings (THB) along migration routes by promoting a multi-agency and human rights-based approach." Training exercises and a handbook are being developed.
Smuggling and Trafficking Page (Rights in Exile Programme) [access]
- Resource page that "focuses on issues relating to refugee protection for victims of trafficking and who fear being trafficked."
- Thematic Focus: Human Trafficking & Smuggling (13 Feb. 2017)
Tagged Events & Opportunities, Publications and Web Sites/Tools.